March is ‘Poison Prevention Awareness’ month. It’s good to remember the safety of our pets during March as some things that are poisonous for them can be quite surprising!
Especially as the warmer weather approaches and more plants are out, we need to take precautions as some can be deadly to our pets. Learn what plants are safe to have indoors, and best to avoid any plants in public spaces to stay on the safe side. Here are some plants that are poisonous to pets:
Lily of the Valley
Tulips and Hyacinths
It is important to keep any food out of reach and safely stored away from our pets. They can be crafty, so things like garbage and green bins especially are important to keep secure. Here are some foods that can be poisonous to your pet:
Chocolate (each type has a different toxicity level)
Other common household items to be mindful about are:
Windshield cleaner/brake fluid
Some poisons can cause an immediate reaction, whereas others can take hours to days to occur.
Here are some common signs of poisoning:
Drooling, vomiting and/or diarrhea
Loss of appetite
Increased thirst and urination
Nervousness and hyperactivity
Tremors and seizures
If you ever suspect accidental poisoning, call your vet immediately. Bring the label of whatever you think your pet has ingested (if possible) as that can help.